Opinions on the Treaty of Versailles
- The British were happy that they had gained some German colonies and that the German navy had been destroyed
- David Lloyd George thought the Treaty was too harsh on Germany, he predicted "we shall have to fight another war in 25 years time".
- The British economist John Maynard said the reparations would destroy the European economy
- France were happy that they had got: Alsace-Lorraine, German colonies and small German armed forces
- However, many French people wanted an independent Rhineland not a demilitarised Rhineland
- The French Public didn't believe that the League of Nations could protect them against Germany
- Woodrow Wilson thought the Treaty was far too harsh on Germany
- Many Americans wanted to stay out of Europe and in 1920, the US senate refused to sign the Treaty and join the League of Nations!